Garmin · Ironman Training · Sick · Swim · Trainer

Day # 2 + #3 of Ironman Training

I did not sleep well Monday night. I swear I had anxiety that I was going to miss my alarm and miss my swim. I HAD to go in the morning because I had to ride at night. I got to the gym a little before 6 a.m. As I walked by the pool I realized it was packed. It was the “swimmers” (those who don’t like us triathletes). I had hoped that they got there when the gym opened at 5:30 a.m. so I wasn’t waiting around for a lane.

There was one lane with one person in it. I asked the woman if she minded splitting the lane. She was RUDE and just gave me some snotty nod. I jumped in and started warming up. She got out soon after. Someone was extra grouchy. I got to work on my main set. Lots of 300’s and 400’s with drills. Enough that my workout totaled 4,000 yards. I shared the lane with one more person, then his friend asked to circle swim. The dreaded circle swim! Thank God that only lasted for like five minutes as the lifeguard told me there was an open lane. The pool cleared out after that! I was definitely getting tired on the 400’s. I just wanted to be done. My total swimming time was 1:09. I was in the pool for about 1:20. It’s amazing how much time goes by in-between sets. Once again my Garmin is evil and didn’t enjoy some of the drills and kicking I did.


I got out of the pool and hustled into the shower. I actually had plenty of time to get ready. For some stupid reason I thought drying my hair was a good idea. I was sweating and my hair was unruly. The chlorine is just evil. I also realized I had big goggle marks on my eyes! Not only do I have to cover up dark circles, but goggle marks, #triathleteproblems.


I left right around 8 a.m. I texted my favorite smoothie place, Koinonia, to order a small Pearlman. I got there and it was ready. I also was starving so I splurged and got a peanut butter energy ball.

Work was okay. I could feel myself getting sicker by the minute. I just wanted to go home! Mark and I met at Wegmans for some lunch. I got soup and Mark and I split some pizza. It didn’t satisfy me as I was feeling like crap.

Somehow I made it through the day. I knew I had to get on my bike. I didn’t want to, but I didn’t want to start missing workouts! I hoped that working out would make me feel better. I know that sounds crazy but I needed some kind of relief.


I forgot to mention how much I sweat riding the trainer! I am a big sweater, but riding indoors brings out the waterworks! You can see the water flowing off my face above. I also took a picture of my set-up. My laptop, Garmin, headphones, and water bottle! Another Biggest Loser episode down, another ride done. I felt a little better. I felt like my congestion was relieved.

I showered and got ready for bed. Mark had to be driven to the airport the next morning at 4:45 a.m. He was going to Colorado for a bike mechanic clinic. Unfortunately, it’s not his real job so he would have had to pay to park and that would be silly so I got forced into driving him.

Of course my congestion came back full force along with a nasty headache, the sweats, and a stomach ache. Needless to say I did not sleep well. I was up all night sick and thinking it was 4:45 a.m. When Mark got me up I wanted to crawl back into bed. I felt like absolute garbage.

Mark drove to the airport. My head was getting worse and worse. I just couldn’t wait to go home. We go to the airport, said good-bye and I made my trek home. It was so dark and I was so miserable. I don’t even remember the drive! I knew I couldn’t make it through work, so I e-mailed my boss that I felt like crap and that I was taking a sick day.

I tried to stay in bed, but I tossed and turned until 9:00 a.m. I made my way upstairs and watched TV. I felt so crappy. I did have a ride and lifting on the schedule for today. I knew lifting wasn’t going to happen but I kept the ride in the front of my mind. I rested all day. Ate a little bit, I didn’t have a big appetite. I did not want to miss a workout. I was okay missing the lifting but not the ride. I realized I felt better upright so I tried to sit up and walk around. Somehow I forced myself to get off my sick butt and get on the trainer.

Once again I turned on The Biggest Loser. I cranked out a painful hour of biking. My speed was super slow and I felt like garbage, but I did it! My congestion felt a lot better exercising. Granted, I had no strength but I like having a little relief.


I wouldn’t wear *just* a sports bra in public, but I figured at home, why not? One less dirty shirt is always a good thing so a sports bra it is. Okay I lied, if and when I have a rock hard core I would sport one in public, LOL.

Here is a picture of my set-up for the moment. Need to make sure my bike is covered since I sweat so much (this picture is missing one towel). My sweat water literally pours of my skin!


I showered and now I am writing this blog post. My congestion is back full force. Also, I can’t taste. That is the worst. I love to eat and I don’t even want to. I am going to watch a little more TV and go to bed. It’s only 7:00 p.m. but I feel like its 10:00 p.m. I also need to pack for the gym tomorrow morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s